While it hasn’t been the summer any of us dreamed of, it’s still worth making the most of the season before fall arrives. What better way to do that than to take advantage of your own backyard? We’re all stuck at home anyway, so turn your backyard, porch, patio, or balcony into an oasis of fun and relaxation.
We can’t wait to be able to safely reopen Rainbow Skateland, but in the meantime, we hope you get some inspiration from these fun backyard ideas!
3 Ways to Make a Fun Backyard
Lounge Around in Style
Everyone seems to be doing a lot of reading, mobile gaming, music listening, and digital catching up with loved ones, so creating a comfortable and fun lounge space will give you a lot of “bang for your buck” when planning a backyard makeover. There are tons of ways to add a fun lounge element to your yard, including:
- Hanging a hammock in a shady spot.
- Building your own bench seating.
- Adding an outdoor sofa or build a pallet sofa.
- Fitting a daybed or canopy bed with waterproof cushions for a cozy spot to relax.
- Getting some rocking chairs.
- Installing a porch swing, tree swing, or build an arbor swing.
- Adding a hanging chair, either on a stand, or hung (safely!) from the porch ceiling.
Remember to incorporate shade into your plan so you can use the space even on hot days! Patio umbrellas, pavilions, and pop-up tents are easy and effective, or you can rig up a shade sail, build a pergola, install an awning, or even hang some outdoor curtains or shades.
Create Space for Everyone to Exercise
If you have kids, you know how important it is for them to have some space to burn off all of that excess energy… But you need a place to do that, too! Even a small backyard can give your family plenty of active fun with the right features. Some active backyard features to consider are:
- Treehouses, even super simple ones! In addition to providing a place to climb and explore, they also double as super cool lounge space.
- Create an outdoor yoga studio.
- Set up a weather-proof obstacle course using pool noodles. (Stick pencils in the ends to allow you to stake them to the ground.)
- Add a swingset or other playground equipment.
- Build a climbing structure with a rope net, climbing wall, rope ladder, etc.
- Install a mound slide or in-ground trampoline.
- Hang a basketball hoop or volleyball/badminton net.
Add Your Own Personal Spin
The most important thing you can do to make a fun backyard is to add your own personality! Think about what your family enjoys doing together, or get the whole crew to brainstorm ideas. The internet has your back with tons of unique backyard DIY ideas, from giant Scrabble or chess boards made from tile to a backyard movie theater.
Enjoy your backyard makeover and let us know if you use any of these ideas!
Leave a Reply